[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 24 11:05:53 PDT 2009

I was booked to cook a feast in December and I am looking again at the French tradition. One piece that looked interesting is the Vivendier's recipe #26 for soupe crottee.  Basically, it's cheese and white bread boiled in water and wine. I can think of several interpretations here, from a cheese-flavoured (but otherwise fairly insipid) bread porridge to a mass of goo with soggy bread lumps in it. Has anyone here tried this recipe or a similar one, and if so, with what results? I was thinking along the lines of trying a relatively small amount of water and a long cooking period to cause the bread to fall apart, giving me a rich porridgelike dish that could be glooped over sops.

Cheers

Giano