[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 24 15:40:23 PDT 2009

Volker Bach wrote:

>I was booked to cook a feast in December and I am looking again at the French tradition. One piece that looked interesting is the Vivendier's recipe #26 for soupe crottee.  Basically, it's cheese and white bread boiled in water and wine. I can think of several interpretations here, from a cheese-flavoured (but otherwise fairly insipid) bread porridge to a mass of goo with soggy bread lumps in it. Has anyone here tried this recipe or a similar one, and if so, with what results? I was thinking along the lines of trying a relatively small amount of water and a long cooking period to cause the bread to fall apart, giving me a rich porridgelike dish that could be glooped over sops.

First of all, I'd like to say yum, yum!

I'm not sure why you expect this to be gloopy, lumpy or porridgy.  I
expect it to be about the consistancy of, well, thickish soup.  I'm not
sure a long cooking time, thickness, and cheese are mutually compatible.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?