[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 24 17:21:06 PDT 2009

>> I'm not sure why you expect this to be gloopy, lumpy or porridgy.  I
>> expect it [soupe crottee] to be about the consistancy of, well,
>> thickish soup.
>

> Did you see English bread sauce in your mind for just a moment here,
> too?

It was lot more than a moment, actually.

>>  I'm not sure a long cooking time, thickness, and cheese are
>> mutually compatible.
>

> I think I'm inclined to agree. I think the instruction to boil
> everything together may be  part of an overall desire to keep the
> dish  from breaking, but the bread will still give it a curdled
> appearance  (which Scully seems to claim is the probable source for
> the name).  Maybe try thinking of it as a sort of emulsified broth
> made rather  quickly: boil water and wine in a wide pan, throw in your
> bread and  cheese and stir the living bejeebus out of it until the
> cheese is  melted and the bread completely moistened and
> semi-disintegrated,  serve hot quickly...

My thought was that if you added the bread and cheese a bit more slowly,
didn't put in excessively much stirred well, and didn't boil too hard,
you'd get something midway between a thinnish bread sauce and a thinnish
fondue.  Would be great with some toast sippets and with some cinnamon,
pepper and sugar on top, or some well-fried onions.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?