[Sca-cooks] Fwd: OOP - pan ID help - addendum

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 28 07:07:57 PDT 2009

>Is this it?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Calphalon-3-Qt-Skillet-with-Lid-Chicken-Fryer-Fry-Pan_W0QQitemZ170388087324QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCookware_Bakeware?hash=item27abebe21c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_977

It looks a lot like it (I didn't get a lid), but the numbers on this pan
are slightly different: 5003 C7 instead of 5003 D8.  Of course that could
refer to the lid (type of lid, or just the fact that it's included), or the
presence of rubber grip.  Unfortunately, it doesn't specify much about the
pan itself.  When I tried to get cleaning information I found a site that
reposted stuff it said was from the Calphalon site (which site was
singularly useless when I tried to poke around it directly myself).  It
differentiated between the treatment to use on various pans (the
"non-stick, hard-anodized, Calphalon-infused anodyzed" etc. listed in my
original query).  I'm sure there's also a big difference in price, but then
I didn't buy it new, so I don't know.

>AFAIK, all Calphalon is safe to put into an oven if the temperature
>isn't ridiculously high, say up to maybe 400 degrees F. You might be
>on the safe side and remove the rubbery grip first. I wouldn't broil
>or sear meat in the oven in it, though.

I wouldn't put the pan in the oven with the rubber grip at any temperature;
I guess I was just concerned about the interior finish and whether it might
volatilize.  It sounds like I could brown something, add ingredients, then
finish in the oven, sort of like a Dutch-oven-type use.

Sandra