[Sca-cooks] The truth about Green Beans Savory in Meridies

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Sep 3 11:50:29 PDT 2009

as an AnTirian, the phenoemonon known as savory toasted cheese is fairly unheard of up here.

interestingly, some years ago, we reconstructed the similar dish from La Varenne ("ramequines of cheese") to
be melty cheese goo on top of bread (mmmm), and found the Digby version as supporting evidence.

it wasnt until I travelled to Colorado where I was served STC as cheese goo on veggies (mmmm) and my first
reacion was Huh? but its SUPPOSED to be cheese on bread, with things as a garnish....oh wait.

went back and reread the Digby recipe....and was again reminded that we should never take what we "know" for
granted. that when we reconstruct recipes, we make suppositions, and that different people will read the same
recipe and come up with different suppositions. neither is right or wrong neccessarily, but by looking at the
same recipe through two different sets of cultural eyes (cheesy veggies is not a cultural standard in the
PacNW the way it is in the midwest, etc. In my experience we're more of a lemon pepper and butter crowd ;))
you can end up with two very very different dishes.

isnt that cool? :)

--Anne-Marie

On Thu 09/09/ 3 11:12 , "Kingstaste" kingstaste at comcast.net sent: