[Sca-cooks] National Savory Toasted Cheese Day

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 3 13:24:49 PDT 2009

Anne-Marie commented:

<<< as an AnTirian, the phenoemonon known as savory toasted cheese is
fairly unheard of up here. >>>

It was pretty unknown here in Ansteorra until about 10 or 12 years ago
when Mistress Clarissa brought it down from the East Kingdom.

<<< went back and reread the Digby recipe....and was again reminded
that we should never take what we "know" for
granted. that when we reconstruct recipes, we make suppositions, and
that different people will read the same
recipe and come up with different suppositions. neither is right or
wrong neccessarily, but by looking at the
same recipe through two different sets of cultural eyes (cheesy
veggies is not a cultural standard in the
PacNW the way it is in the midwest, etc. In my experience we're more
of a lemon pepper and butter crowd ;))
you can end up with two very very different dishes. >>>

There was a contest at one of my barony's events several years ago
where everyone was supposed to start with Digby's Savory Tosted Cheese
recipe and come up with their own redaction (ie: not Master
Cariadoc's) and bring it for tasting. We got quite a wide variety of
results, some were much closer IMHO to the original recipe than
others. I still don't think cheddar cheese is a good one to use...  I
got into trouble trying to show a non-Digby version, but just like the
originator was wanting to show that Master Cariadoc's wasn't the only
legitimate redaction, I was trying to show that there were some other
interesting period melted cheese concoctions than Digby's.

For a number of comments, suggestions (like how to keep it from
separating) and redactions, see this Florilegium file.

cheese-goo-msg    (44K) 10/31/06    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese.
melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-goo-msg.html

Stefan
--------