[Sca-cooks] Gorditas was New snack treat OT OP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 6 15:41:56 PDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 5:53 PM, aeduin wrote:

>> Around here, after decades of there being no Tex-Mex or real Mexican
>> food available, there's much more available, between informal Tex-
>> Mex
>> establishments, some pretty expensive, high-quality actual-Mexican-
>> food restaurants, and legitimate Mexican fast food, often sold from
>> trucks at key locations around the city. I mean, where do you go for
>> that all-important tongue or sweetbread soft taco at 2 AM? Chowhound
>> knows... and what they apparently think is it's about a quarter mile
>> from my house. This type of food is infinitely better than Taco Bell
>> and may even be cheaper.
>>
>> I think my taco-eating-at 2AM days are past; I say this with only
>> mild
>> regret.
>>
>> Adamantius
> I dunno Master A, for a really good sweetbread taco it might be
> worth it once in a while.

Could be. Word on the street is some of these people are rebelling
against masa harina and processing their own corn under cover of
night, for their tortillas, and the people across the street engage in
a regular activity with what looks like some kind of crank-driven
milling machine. Maybe making chicha, for all I know. At the risk of
being creepy or resembling James Stewart in "Rear Window", I do seem
to see a lot of interesting stuff while just sitting on my balcony.
Half the time I am literally resting my eyes from the computer screen,
my eyes go partially out of focus and then re-engage on all this
interesting stuff.

Come to think of it, I see one of the trucks tends to be parked in the
driveway of a house around the block from me, at night.

That's it. I've _got_ to brush up on my Spanish.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter