[Sca-cooks] Gorditas was New snack treat OT OP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 6 17:46:19 PDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:28 PM, otsisto wrote:

> Wow, someone who doesn't eat at Taco Bell. :)
> The TB gorditas have been around for quite a while. They are "tacos"
> made
> with flat blead instead of reg. taco shells
>
> http://www.tacobell.com/chickenranchgordita/

Yeah, I'm aware of the basic concept, and see television commercials
and such, and there's a Taco Bell three blocks or so from my apartment
building, but between what I read about them in Fast Food Nation and
various other sources, and the fact that, like many of the now-
surviving fast food chains across the US, they didn't exist in my city
until fairly recently.

I STR the non-local fast food chains in New York City when I was a kid
consisted of White Castle, Nathan's (hey, it's Coney Island, after
all), a hamburger chain called Wetson's. Then there was a [Swiss or
Austrian] wurst chain called ZumZum, Chock-Full-O'-Nuts coffee houses,
the NYC-specific Papaya King, Grey's Papaya, a million Sabrette hot
dog carts, and lots and lots of pizzerias, all mom-and-pop-type
operations, and all, bar none, monumentally better than the national
chains.

I think the first McDonald's in Manhattan probably opened in the late
60's, and I became aware of it maybe ten years later, when I was in
high school.

Of all the chains that have made various sacrifices in quality to
favor a product line allowing for the cheapest and least-skilled labor
imaginable, Taco Bell is, AFAIK, really the only one to actively boast
of having no real kitchen to speak of, and no actual cooking
facilities other than things like microwaves, in the majority of their
retail locations.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter