[Sca-cooks] pasties - was winter projects

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 8 15:43:42 PDT 2009

>On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:20:04 -0700
>  David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure I understand that. Are you saying that people in your
>>area are so used to period food that they see not quite period food
>>as an adventure?
>
>no, just that i was lucky to have adventurous eaters buying into a
>'period lunch for two by the listfield at champions'.   8)
>
>>For a sweet, have you considered gingerbrede--the 14th-15th c. sort
>>that has a texture like fudge? Good fingerfood, although likely to
>>leave the fingers slightly sticky. Keeps well.
>
>outdoor camping event that can get dusty... perhaps a bit too
>sticky.  hmmm... maybe turned out from a candy mold...

Roll into balls, roll them in sugar with a little ground cloves in
it, to make up for not having the cloves planted about as per the
original recipe.

Incidentally, if you want a "pasty like object" that's actually from
a period recipe (and good), you might take a look at barmakiya. It's
in the Miscellany. One of the things we sometimes make if we are
bringing pre-cooked food to an event.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com