[Sca-cooks] Recipe for period gingerbrede

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 9 14:28:31 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

>> But-it's a reasonable questions - they could have taken day old
>> (not yet
>> dry) bread and broken it or rubbed it into "crumbs".
>>

> Yes, they could have, but I think the specific instruction to
> *grate* is highly suggestive of *dry* bread.

Another consideration, FWIW, is that a light but swift hand using a
grater with simple puckered holes punched in it, as opposed to the
more sophisticated ones where the holes are sort of angled blades all
pointing in the same direction, can be surprisingly effective in
producing crumbs from any reasonably firm bread.

Sure, these are people who ate, used and baked a lot of bread and
didn't have a lot of ways to keep it really fresh, and stale bread
surely suggests itself.

But it's not inconceivable that semi-fresh bread was used for certain
applications.

Another variable we haven't really talked about (AFAIK) is gluten
content. We may be talking about lots or pre-gelatinized starch in
medieval bread, fresh or dry, compared to many of the crunch-
emphasizing dry bread crumb products on the market. A lot of them are
not even actual bread before grinding, except in the broad sense that
they're made from flour and baked...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter