[Sca-cooks] "Actual bread?" WAS gingerbrede

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:54:41 PDT 2009

Lots.  And lots.  I have several in-depth bread cookbooks.  (Peter Reinhart features rather prominently on my bookshelf).  Many breads may also contain eggs, milk, oil, butter, honey, sugar, spices, etc., etc.  Most are flour/liquid blends leavened with yeast.  Though that's also a little variable modernly if you want to throw "quick breads" into the equation.  And, of course, baked.
A good place to start is with "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" by Elizabeth David, or "Crust and Crumb" by Peter Reinhart.  The latter is somewhat more modern in approach and covers such variants as ciabatta and foccacia, naan, and other ethnic variants.  Or wait a few more weeks for the new Reinhart book, "Artisan Breads Everyday."
Femke>