[Sca-cooks] Rice in Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 9 22:18:19 PDT 2009

> Madhavi asked:
>
> <<< I just finished reading the entire Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook  for
> the
> second time, and I can't find a single reference to rice. No rice.
> Whatsoever. How is that possible? Did they not eat rice? Did they only
> eat their Buraniyyas and Tafayas with only bread? >>>
>
> Yes, that isn't surprising. Rice didn't get to large parts of Europe
> until late in period. I seem to remember 13th C. The Anonymous  Andalusian
> Cookbook is much earlier.
>
> This file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium has more  details.
> rice-msg          (99K) 11/22/07  Period rice. Recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/rice-msg.html
>
> Stefan

Oops, indeed.

The Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook is dated early 13th Century, by which time
rice had been in Spain by at least 300 years.  By the time AAC was written,
rice was already being imported into Northern Europe.  The OED's first
reference to rice is from the accounts of Henry III in 1234.

Bear