[Sca-cooks] a feast for Richard the Lionheart (was <no subject>)

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Sep 10 06:15:01 PDT 2009

Hey all from Anne-Marie

Given the fear of the "other" so pervasive throughout our history, would a
local family have served their returning King "furrin'" dishes?

Certainly we see VERY different cuisines in the later period middle eastern
texts than we do the concurrent western ones. Combine all that with the
surely scarecity of "furrin" ingredients and I am thinking that when Richard
got back to England, he ate English food.

That said, if it's a family on the border...when he was en route, as it
were? They might have access to recipes and foodstuffs that the folks back
home would not have?

An interesting ponder, I think :)

--Anne-Marie, who thinks WHY people ate what they did is about as much fun
as WHAT they ate :)