[Sca-cooks] OT: Visiting London

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 10 15:11:43 PDT 2009

Regarding National Trust, if you're only going to be in London for a
week you might not get your money's worth unless you plan to go back for
a year.  If you do decide, join the Royal Oak Society which is the US
version of National Trust.  The fee is tax-deductable but your fee to
National Trust isn't.  A number of London sites were free or weren't
open on the days I was there.  Check the NT's web site and look for
London sites to see what's there, the cost and when they are open.

On the other hand, if you want the Tower of London, Hampton Court, the
Banquetting House, and Kensington Palace, you might purchase a
membership in Historic Royal Palaces.  If you visit those four places
you will have pretty much made back what you paid.  And, you get a 10%
discount at all their on site shops and food places (Hampton Court and
Tower of London).  There's also a nice bulleting that is sent to members
at least once or twice a year.

The Hampton Court cooks will be there at the ends of the months (26, 27
September 2009; 24, 25 October 2009; 28, 29 November 2009).  I would
second the recommendation for the Museum of London.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com