[Sca-cooks] OT: Visiting London

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 10 18:26:27 PDT 2009

Two other comments:  If you want food as nourishment and not as a
culinary adventure, consider going to one of the Sainsbury or Marks &
Spencer stores where they sell groceries.  You can buy sandwiches or
baguettes there, plus yogurt, fruit salad, etc. for less than a
restaurant.  My usual London fare was from one of the "French" food
stands at train stations.  Brain is not cooperating as to the name, but
they sell freshly-made baguettes ranging from about 1.50 pounds to 3.50
or so.  I usually picked a cheap one such as the tomato and brie.  They
are filling and inexpensive.

The problems of getting to Hampton Court that we had in April should not
likely be a problem for you.  Rail service tends to shut down on Bank
Holiday weekends which affected both Johnnae and myself and that weekend
involved some particularly nasty repair work.  But, weekend rail travel
can be tricky.  Besides Johnnae's Internet link you can look at
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to see if there will be any interruption
in service.

Alys K.
--