[Sca-cooks] siting table in Middle-eastern style.

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 06:29:32 PDT 2009

While I was in Saudi Arabia (1990), I had the pleasure of observing from the cab of the CUCV (military version of a Chevy Blazer) a casual meal shared between two males - one from my unit and the other a local lad for whom we had just repaired the alternator belt on his ancient vehicle.  He felt by his traditions, obligated to share a meal.  He was a very nice lad, who understood enough of American traditions that he knew and respected the fact that I was respecting his traditions by staying in the vehicle while he shared his meal with my male counterpart.  He himself brought a share of the meal and the tea to me.  He was nodding and grinning and kept saying 'no Islam, no Islam'.  I was glad for the window between them and me as the young man attempted to teach SP4 King how to properly sit on the ground.  The distance allowed me to laugh right out loud and not cause SP4 King any public embarrassment.

While trying to put together this feast I was remembering the shared meal which gave me pause to wonder . . .

. . . not what they ate, but how the meal was structured.  How does one properly set and serve a meal in the Holy Land, in period?  Anybody know of any references where I would start with to determine the structure of the Islamic meal?  As example - according to Emily Post, guru of table manners, the American feast-meal begins with soup and ends with coffee and sweets.  Utensils are placed from outside to inside in the order that they should be used in the meal.  The largest plate should be one inch from the edge of the table.  The linen should hand eight inches below the table edge.  Food is served from the right and removed from the left of the diner.

How is an Islamic meal structured, served, and cleared away?  Has anybody researched this yet, who might have insight they are willing to share?  Any references I can start with that might serve as a springboard?

Cheers

Malkin

Otherhill

Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.