[Sca-cooks] Two questions

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Sep 11 19:34:31 PDT 2009

Part of the problem with microfilm collections is that if the old
technology
works and they can still get supplies .. well yeah you might well
encounter
slick paper copiers in the microfilm rooms. They are so underutilized
these days...
Or you could encounter an excellent
new reader scanner/printer or nothing at all in terms of a printer
that makes copies.
(Our local public library has a reader but no printer which means
those using
interlibrary loaned microfilms must copy information off by hand.)
Numerous libraries did buy Early English printed book collections in
microfilm
and those collections are still there. Libraries that can't afford the
online EEBO
collection can still provide access to the books. It's just more work.

(BTW, the trick with slick paper copies is to make a plain paper copy
of the slick copies as soon as
possible. Then store the slick paper copies in an archival box. I have
copies I made from
microfilm from the 1980's that are in perfect shape because I did this.)

I used a brand new scanner at the UM to make a copy of a work that I
owned on microfilm several years back.
( I shall just say it's a cookery book from 1500.)
It took hours and hours. Luckily they hadn't connected it to a coin/
charge machine yet, so
they let me have my copies for free since I was a librarian.

People may gripe about EEBO and EEBO-TCP but they have really
revolutionized the study
of English texts.

Johnnae