[Sca-cooks] Two questions

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 11 21:27:54 PDT 2009

On the shortbread question.

One problem in telling whether or not this would come out similar to
a modern shortbread is the lack of quantities (except for the egg
yolk). The same ingredients can produce very different results
depending on relative amounts.

Googling around, the standard short bread seems to be, by volume,
about 4 parts flour to 2 parts butter to 1 part sugar. That wouldn't
be my first guess for  a recipe that lists the sugar along with the
spices. And I haven't come across any shortbread recipes that used
cream instead of butter. I would also be a little surprised to
encounter a modern shortbread flavored with cloves, mace and saffron.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com