[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

bronwynmgn at aol.com bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 05:28:05 PDT 2009

<<The "red food coloring" in the original (14th and 15th c. versions) is saunders--ground sandalwood root. I suspect that's less red than what you are thinking of.?>>

Yes, I've used saunders in gingerbrede, and it mostly turns it a sort of brick red, more or less noticeable depending on how dark your honey was to begin with.? If the honey you're working with?is pretty dark to begin with, it doesn't really make much difference.? Definitely not a "Christmas red" sort of color.

Brangwayna Morgan