[Sca-cooks] Shortbread was Two questions VERY Long

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Sep 12 17:45:15 PDT 2009

>Please excuse the length.
>

>Classic proportions for shortbread are 3, 2, 1 or 6, 4, 2.
>
>Here are some modern recipes for versions with those ingredients
>that His Grace didn't find:

Unless I missed something, none of these uses cream instead of
butter. They use butter plus a little cream in addition. None uses
mace. One uses cloves, but it's quite obviously intended as a chinese
influenced variant--shortbread cookie dough plus five spices.

There is a modern recipe that uses saffron, but it's pretty clear
reading it that the modern author regards coloring the cookies with
saffron as an innovation of her own.

So I think I count that as one of the ingredients in the recipe being
discussed being used in a modern shortbread.

> [...]
>baking sheet lined with buttered paper for about 15 minutes until
>pale golden. Cool on a cake rake.
>Based on the Ayrshire Shortbread recipe in:
>Cookery Illustrated & Household Management
>by Elizabeth Craig (Odhams Press 1936).
>
>http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/ayrshire_shortbread.html
>
>-----------------
>
>http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/food/ayrshire_shortbread.htm
>has this version posted:
>
>Ayrshire Shortbread - a delicious shortbread which has the added
>delight of cream. Very appropriate as Ayrshire is famous for its
>milk production.
>
>Ayrshire Shortbread
>
>Ingredients : 8 oz (225 g) flour; 1 tbsp rice flour; 4 oz (100 g)
>butter; 4 oz (100 g) caster sugar; yolk of egg; 2 tbsp cream
>
>Preheat the oven to 350 deg F/ 180 deg C or gas mark 4
>
>Sieve the flour and rice lour together into a bowl. Rub in the
>butter and add sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolk
>and cream. Knead together lightly to make a fairly stiff dough.
>Divide into three pieces and roll into sausage-shapes about
>one-and-a half inch (4 cm) in diameter. Put into a cool place and
>leave for several hours or overnight. Cut into        rounds a
>quarter inch thick ( 1/2 cm), place on a greased baking sheet and
>bake for 10-15 minutes.
>
>see also
>http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/frank/burns_lives4.htm
>
>---------
>
>Saffron in shortbread shows up in several cookbooks, especially
>those for tea treats.
>On the web, it appears in several posted recipes including this one
>which is based
>on a recipe from Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery.:
>http://www.mangopowergirl.com/2008/04/spring-saffron-shortbread.html
>
>------
>
>There are a number of shortbread recipes today that call for spices:
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Five-Spice-Shortbread-236615
>
>Other variations:
>
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Scarborough-Fair-Shortbread-232644
>calls for 4 herbs.
>
>Johnnae
>

>On Sep 12, 2009, at 12:27 AM, David Friedman wrote:
>
>>On the shortbread question.
>>One problem in telling whether or not this would come out similar
>>to a modern shortbread is the lack of quantities (except for the
>>egg yolk). The same ingredients can produce very different results
>>depending on relative amounts.
>>Googling around, the standard short bread seems to be, by volume,
>>about 4 parts flour to 2 parts butter to 1 part sugar. That
>>wouldn't be my first guess for  a recipe that lists the sugar along
>>with the spices. And I haven't come across any shortbread recipes
>>that used cream instead of butter. I would also be a little
>>surprised to encounter a modern shortbread flavored with cloves,

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/