[Sca-cooks] OT 14th century sex manual (Speculum al foder)

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:26:57 PDT 2009

There is reportedly a direct translation to English of the Perfumed Garden
that was published in 1999 that is at odds at several points with Burton's.
Burton's translation was actually a translation to English of a French
translation.  I understand that the French translation and thus Burton's was
not a full translation.  Reportedly Burton was working on a direct
translation when he died.  It is said that his wife burned it after going
through his papers subsequent to his death.  Got to love those proper
Victorian Ladies.

Daniel

--- Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps <dephelps at embarqmail.com> schrieb am Do,
17.9..2009:

> Von: Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps <dephelps at embarqmail.com>
> Betreff: Re: [Sca-cooks] OT 14th century sex manual (Speculum al foder)
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Donnerstag, 17. September 2009, 22:47
>
> Regards another book, albeit Persian(?), in translation on
> the general subject written between the 14th and 16th
> century
> http://www.sacred-texts.com/sex/garden/index.htm,
> http://burtoniana.org/books/1886-Perfumed%20Garden/index.htm
> and
> http://www.tantra-sex.com/perfumedgarden.html
>
> If I recall correctly some of the recipes for "remedies"
> for certain complaints/conditions might be of culinary
> interest.

Yes, they are. Incidentally, there is a nwewer translation than Burton (the
publishers claimn also more faithful) into German:

Marzolph, Ulrich (trsl.): Der Duftende Garten zur Erbauung ds Gemüts: Ein
arabisches Liebeshandbuch, C.H. Beck Verlag, Munich 2002, ISBN  340649580x..
It certainly looks good, though i can't speak to the accuracy. The recipes
are very interesting, some even sound feasible without risk to life, limb
and wallet.

Giano