[Sca-cooks] "French Toast"

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Fri Sep 18 09:18:56 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Judith mentioned:
> <<< To me, challah
> is what you use to make French toast on Sunday mornings. Mmm, French
> challah toast. >>>
>
> Why? Because challah is a richer bread with additional egg added to the
> bread? Because it is a lighter bread and soaks up more egg mixture? I think
> I've only occasionally had challah, although we have discussed it here.

It's the rich and slightly sweet taste, I think. I don't really know,
I almost never eat challah except in French toast.

Whatever the details of why, challah is definitely the best bread for
French toast. American-style sandwich bread is my second choice,
especially the kinds made with buttermilk, but challah is better.

I used to live two blocks from a kosher bakery that made it every
Friday and I would sometimes buy a loaf to keep me in delicious French
toast for days. They also made a truly delicious chocolate babka, and
no social gathering was complete without a loaf of that.