[Sca-cooks] dinner OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 06:20:32 PDT 2009

On Sep 20, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> Bacon Corn chowder - 1/2 lb bacon chopped and fried crisp, add 2
> cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 onion, 2 stalks celery and 4 potatoes
> diced.  Add spices  to taste.  I used 1/2 tsp Parsley, 1/4 tsp  each
> sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, Herbs de Provinance,
> ground black pepper,  paprika and a few celery seeds.  Stir in
> between 1/4 in 1/2 cup flour.  Cook until the flour browns
> slightly.  Add 2 C milk and stir. (also added left over peas,
> carrots and corn).
>

> fresh hot bead - Tbs yeast bloomed in 3/4 c warmed milk, 3 eggs, 1
> tsp salt, 3 Tbs sugar, 4 C flour.  Formed in rounds, baked  at 375
> for 22 minutes.

Sounds pretty awesome. A chowder like this is one of my standard
and dining room... and kitchen... (they're pretty small), previously
unplanned-on.

They were also making corn chowder, I hear, over a wood fire on the
hearth at the Queens County Farm museum, which is an actual working
(mostly nineteenth century, some older) farm within New York City. The
Queens County Fair was this past weekend (I still have an ambition to
win the pie baking competition in the County Fair, but I guess I'd
need to enter one, then, huh?). When we arrived on Saturday, late in
the day, the guy in the kitchen was building a new fire, presumably
starting dinner for some staff members or something, and there was
little or no cooking being done at that moment, so we went to the
pickle vendor instead and got our fix.

I've decided that the product they sell as Hot Shots, which are basic
PA Dutch-type sweet bread-and-butter pickles with the addition of
diced Habanero chiles, is indisputable proof of the existence of G-d
and symbolizes the mandala-like co-existence of Heaven and Hell, the
wheel of kharma, and all sorts of other stuff. You name it.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter