[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 24 16:12:15 PDT 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Volker Bach wrote:
>
>> I was booked to cook a feast in December and I am looking again at
>> the French tradition. One piece that looked interesting is the
>> Vivendier's recipe #26 for soupe crottee.  Basically, it's cheese
>> and white bread boiled in water and wine. I can think of several
>> interpretations here, from a cheese-flavoured (but otherwise fairly
>> insipid) bread porridge to a mass of goo with soggy bread lumps in
>> it. Has anyone here tried this recipe or a similar one, and if so,
>> with what results? I was thinking along the lines of trying a
>> relatively small amount of water and a long cooking period to cause
>> the bread to fall apart, giving me a rich porridgelike dish that
>> could be glooped over sops.
>>

> First of all, I'd like to say yum, yum!
>
> I'm not sure why you expect this to be gloopy, lumpy or porridgy.  I
> expect it to be about the consistancy of, well, thickish soup.

Did you see English bread sauce in your mind for just a moment here,
too?

>  I'm not sure a long cooking time, thickness, and cheese are
> mutually compatible.

I think I'm inclined to agree. I think the instruction to boil
everything together may be  part of an overall desire to keep the dish
from breaking, but the bread will still give it a curdled appearance
(which Scully seems to claim is the probable source for the name).
Maybe try thinking of it as a sort of emulsified broth made rather
quickly: boil water and wine in a wide pan, throw in your bread and
cheese and stir the living bejeebus out of it until the cheese is
melted and the bread completely moistened and semi-disintegrated,
serve hot quickly...

A lot will depend on the cheese and the bread.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter