[Sca-cooks] Squash was Re:Helewyse's latest feast

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Sep 24 13:37:47 PDT 2009

>One can find other than these of ours (gourds) in Italy those that
>are served all the winter, of various sizes, shapes and colors.
>These new (as they are called) came from the Indians; some of these,
>called sea gourds, have been in Italy for longer. ... The flowers
>are similar to the lily, only yellow and much larger.

looks pretty unambiguous to me--yellow flowers. New World squash.

Thanks. Also for the descriptions of how to cook them.

Does this make squash the only New World food for which we have not
merely evidence that someone, somewhere in Europe, cooked and ate it
before 1600, but evidence that it was a reasonably familiar
ingredient with a good deal of information on what was done with it?
I don't think tomatoes or potatoes satisfy that--what about Turkey?
Capsicums?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com