[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 11:27:08 PDT 2009

Hi Giano!

I have been looking and looking for my copy of the Vivendier.  I seem to have misplaced it somewhere, so I cannot comment about what the actual recipe says, since you didn't provide it with your post, but how you describe this recipe reminds me a lot of Käsesuppe, which I have made and have made for a banquet of 150 people.

I had no problem with the cheese gloping or burning.  The key to this I feel is to heat up your base, be it beef stock or wine then lower the flame and add the cheese until it melts. I used pregrated Swiss cheese. Once it has melted, take the soup off the heat and immediately add your thickener [eggs and cream].  Then season.  When you serve the soup, put croutons and rings of onion in and serve immediately. When the soup got the diners, the croutons had softened, but were still recognizable as croutons.

I hope that this will give you some help even if I cannot speak directly to the recipe you are working with.

Huette