[Sca-cooks] Turkey was Squash

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Sep 26 16:45:25 PDT 2009

Jean-Louis Flandrin in Food: A Culinary History writes, "At a banquet given
by Catherine de' Medici at the bishopric of Paris in 1549, seventy "Indian
chickens" costing twenty sols apiece and seven "Indian roosters" costing
thirty sols were served.  The most surprising thing is these prices were
already markedly below the prices for native birds such as peacock and heron
(forty sols), pheasant and bustard (seventy sols), crane (eighty sols), swan
(a hunderd sols) and so on."

A sol is 12 deniers (roughly equivalent to the shilling).

While I have no evidence at this point, I think that the relatively low cost
of the turkey is because it was already a domesticated bird in Mexico and
was farm raised in Europe, where the other large birds were most likely
taken from the wild.

Bear