[Sca-cooks] Squash was Re:Helewyse's latest feast

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Sep 28 07:45:53 PDT 2009

>Does this make squash the only New World food for which we have not
>merely evidence that someone, somewhere in Europe, cooked and ate it
>before 1600, but evidence that it was a reasonably familiar
>ingredient with a good deal of information on what was done with it?
>I don't think tomatoes or potatoes satisfy that--what about Turkey?
>Capsicums?
>--
>David/Cariadoc
>www.daviddfriedman.com

Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch is very late period, 1581, but has
multiple menu listings and 21 recipes for "Indianischen Hanen",
including a picture, so there is no question what bird was meant.
It's listed at least once on most of the Fleichtag menus for each
level from Emperor to Lords.

There are also two menu listings and 4 recipes for "Indianishen
Schwein", "Indianische Schweinlein" or "Indianische Fercklein",
perhaps guinea pig.

Recipes for "Meerschwein", modernly translated as guinea pig, but the
picture appears to be a porcupine.

And two menu listings for "Indianische Bonen", presumably new world
beans.  I'd guess that shell beans were meant not green beans.  One
doesnt give any indication how to cook them, one says cooked, in a
salad.

There are also recipes for Ostrich, which is native to Africa.

All of these apparently familiar enough that Rumpolt had no need to
explain what was meant, and have no more and no less detail than
other foods.  There may be still other recipes in sections I haven't
transcribed yet.

Dr Gloning said he had finished transcribing Rumpolt over a year ago,
but the remaining sections are not on his website yet, so I've
resumed transcribing sections that I want to translate.

Ranvaig