[Sca-cooks] Ivan Day in the US?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 29 12:48:30 PDT 2009

Thanks, Kiri and Johnnae.  Kiri wrote (with snippage):
 >In the adjoining Breakfast Room, an elaborate dessert
 >setting, created by celebrated food historian and designer
 >Ivan Day, recreates an historic 18th-century dessert
 >service, complete with pyramids of confectionery and
 >fruit, chenille parterres, and sugar baskets with pastillage
 >flowers, all surrounded by Hillwood's S?vres dessert service
 >made for Cardinal Prince Louis de Rohan.

 >There doesn't appear to be any kind of cooking demo or anything
 >involving Mr. Day on the calendar.  There is a "fawncy" dinner
 >scheduled just before the opening of the Sevres exhibition, but no
 >mention is made of any dish/dishes made by Mr. Day.  Sigh.

Well, he will undoubtedly have made the sugar baskets, the pastillage
flowers, and probably some of the confectionery fruits in the pyramids.
  See http://www.historicfood.com/events.htm and/or
http://www.historicfood.com/events2006-7.html .

There's also a fairly good representation of a similar time period at
http://www.historicfood.com/events2008-9.html down at the bottom of the
page, done for the Bard Graduate Center in NYC, 2007.  The last three
photos may well be similar to what he'll showcase.

I'm surprised (but probably shouldn't be) how much the sugar paste
figures float from exhibit to exhibit.  The book "All the King's Cooks"
has sugar figures that were just on display at Fairfax House although
those pieces may have been made by Peter Brears.  That's 10+ years of
continued existence!  I have photos of some items that were on Ivan's
shelves back in 2006 or 07 and were in the Fairfax exhibit.  It would be
interesting to see the items that will be there.

Thanks, again, ladies!

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming