[Sca-cooks] hardy pies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 8 15:26:04 PDT 2009

> I know I won't be the only one eager to hear the results of your
> research. I make a terrible pie crust -- it's one of my few failings
> as a cook, and one that cuts deeply.
>
> Judith

Even "bad" pie crusts have their place.  If, like me, your pie crusts
wind up tough, then they are idea for Cornish Pasties and other such
travel foods.  For those, they are not so much "dainty edibles" as
"lunch box".

Harness the energy!

Selene
===========

For those of you who despair at making flaky, edible pie crusts, I
have a solution! As Selene said "Harness the energy!". Are your pie
crusts tough and chewy? Are they better for holding and transporting a
pie than eating? Are they strong enough to hold a flock of blackbirds
without cracking?

Turn your liabilities into assets! Give away that stack of extra metal
pie and glass pie pans! Do it the medieval way! Make the containers to
hold your pie you are baking out of dough.

For those whose pie crusts are always light and flakey, liable to fall
apart if they don't have the strong structural support of a pie pan,
well, you too can learn the art of making strong, sturdy food
containers out of common materials such as flour, water and lard!

See this newly added Florilegium file in the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
dough-contain-msg (90K)  9/ 6/09  Dough as the baking container. Free-
standing
                                      pie crusts. Coffins, Coffyns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/dough-contain-msg.html

:-)