[Sca-cooks] gingerbread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 9 11:18:56 PDT 2009

For a sweet, have you considered gingerbrede--the 14th-15th c. sort
that has a texture like fudge? Good fingerfood, although likely to
leave the fingers slightly sticky. Keeps well.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com

I hope you're intending to post a recipe for this!

Judith / no SCA name yet
=======================

There are a number of the period recipes for this type of recipe in
this file in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section of the Florilegium.

gingerbread-msg   (54K)  3/24/09    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

These are real simple recipes.

Cariadoc mentioned that this can leave the fingers slightly sticky.
Yes, it can. A lot of it seems to depend upon how long the honey is
cooked and/or how many bread crumbs are added.

I made gingerbread for a demo one time. I carefully rolled little
morsels into bite-sized balls and rolled them in more sugar so they
wouldn't be so sticky. By the time I got to the event, they had all
merged together into one big blob again. I broke some blobs off and
rolled them into more little balls for distribution. It certainly
didn't help that the closest sinks were a hundred+ feet away. It felt
like a hundred yards. Kept running back there because my fingers were
getting all sticky.

When I got home with most of the gingerbread, I heated it up again
until it melted and added more breadcrumbs, which solved the
stickiness problem. So gingerbread can be reworked if it ends up being
too thin or sticky.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com