[Sca-cooks] Just in case people missed this... Farewell to Keith Floyd

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 19 07:55:00 PDT 2009

One of my favorite culinary TV people: engaging, fascinating,
respectful but occasionally iconoclastic (think of an elderly, funny,
British Mark Bittman).

Here's a rather nice piece about Mr. Floyd, if you can accept my
apologies for the rabid liberalism of the site in question (I'm
apologizing for sending some of you there, not for the tone of the
site -- the piece itself is, as far as I can tell, devoid of political
opinion), and there are some wonderful video clips embedded:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/9/19/5497/35247

One of my favorite things about Keith Floyd was his disdain for the
two-oven approach to cooking on television. His shows were, as far as
I can tell, filmed or taped, and while his tripes a la mode du Caen
were braising, he'd go off to the pub and play darts with the camera
crew, or play a round of golf, or go fishing. Then they'd show it all
on television, played back at high speed. So much for Terry Jones'
complaint that "it's not easy to pad these shows out to 30 minutes,
you know!"

I'll miss you, Keith!

Adamantius

bellies."