[Sca-cooks] Food or foodie movies

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 4 05:27:55 PDT 2010

We've played this game a number of times over the years. Master A. and
Christianna are s quite good at this.

You can search the archives under food movies list and turn up titles
like this.

I don't know if Stefan has made a list or not. Besides the ones
mentioned this August, we've also talked about the films below.

Johnnae

from 2006

Here's the list of titles without commentary - always looking for more!
Christianna

FOOD MOVIES
"A Chef in Love"
“A Feast At Midnight”
"Babette's Feast"
“Chocolat”
"Dinner Rush"
"Eat,Drink,Man,Woman" and "Tortilla Soup"
"Fried Green Tomatoes."
“Full Moon Lunches” (Japan)
"La Grande Bouffe"
“Last Holiday”
"Like Water for Chocolate"
“Lunga Vita alla Signora!”(1987) Italy
"Mostly Martha"
"Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
"Tampopo"/"Dandelion"/"The Noodle Shop"
"The Big Night"
"The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover"
"The Chinese Feast"
"The God of Cookery"
“The Joy Luck Club” (Chinese/American)
“301/302” (Korea)
“Vatel”
"What's Cooking?"
"Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?"
“Woman on Top”

ONE OR TWO MEMORABLE FOOD SCENES:
"Age of Innocence"
"A Passage to India"
"Eating Raoul"
"Fellini's Satyricon" (1968) Italy/ France
“Girl with a Pearl Earring” (2003) Luxembourg/UK
Harry Potter movies
“I Love You to Death” (1990) USA
“Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”
"Last Tango in Paris"
“Motel Hell”
"My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle"
"My Favorite Year"
"9-1/2 Weeks"
"Royal Flash" (1975) UK.
“Ruggles of Red Gap” (1918, 1923, 1935)
"The Man Who Came To Dinner"
“Theatre of Blood”
”Tom Jones”
"Volere, Volare"

FOOD IN SCARCITY:
"A Boy and His Dog"
"A Private Function"
"King Rat"
"Soylent Green"
"Delicatessen"

HORROR/CANNIBALISM:
“Blood Feast” (1963) USA
“Delicatessen” (1991) France.
"Eating Raoul" (1982) USA
"Fellini's Satyricon" (1968) Italy/ France.
"Soylent Green" (1973) USA.
"Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (1984) UK
“Theater of Blood” (1973) UK.
"Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" (1978) USA/ West Germany.

DOCUMENTARY:
“Feast” (Yanomamo documentary)
“Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers”
"In Heaven There Is No Beer"
"J'ai Eté au Bal" ("I Went to the Dance")
“Yum, Yum, Yum”
“Cooking with Porn Stars” (2002) USA
“Cooking with Porn Stars for the Holidays” (2002) USA.

TV:
"Arias and Pasta"
"Chef!"
"Pie in the Sky"
"Tattinger's"
“The Spice of Life”
"Iron Chef"
"Jeeves and Wooster"

(I suppose we should amend this list to include some of the chef shows -
I really did like "Top Chef", and "Who will be the next Food TV Star"
did give a lot of insight into what it takes)

BOOKS:
"A Cook's Tour" - Tony Bourdain
"Kitchen Confidential" -Tony Bourdain
“The Bobby Gold Stories” (fiction) Anthony Bourdain
“Baked to Death” - Dean James
"Catering to Nobody” - Diane Mott Davidson
"Dying for Chocolate"  - Diane Mott Davidson
"Killer Pancake" - Diane Mott Davidson
"The Cereal Murders" - Diane Mott Davidson
"The Last Suppers"  - Diane Mott Davidson
"Death by Chocolate"
“Someone is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe” by Nan and Ivan Lyons
"The Butter Did It" by Phyllis Richman.
"The Cat Who..." series-
"Too Many Cooks" - Rex Stout

LATER POSTS have mentioned

>> "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" and "Vatel".
>>
>> I really need to get "Big Night", "Babette's Feast", and
>> a few others. I know we've covered this before, but
>> what would you recommend as fun food movies?
>
> Chocolat
> Like Water For Chocolate
> Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
> Tortilla Soup
> The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
> Fried Green Tomatoes
> National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Family Reunion
> Pieces of April [A wayward daughter (Katie Holmes) invites her dying
> mother and the rest of her estranged family to her apartment for
> Thanksgiving dinner]
> Next?

Off the top of my head, at least four more Asian entries:

The God of Cookery
Tampopo
The Chinese Feast
Udon

Let's see...

Spanglish has a good deal of food content, if not a food movie per se
A Private Function

Sweeney Todd".
>> No Reservations

> Ruggles of Red Gap

>> Vatel
>> Babettes Feast
>> Chocolat
>> Eat Drink Man Woman
>> Ratatouille
>>
> Well to add a bit of craziness how about "Eating Raoul" and "Who is
> Killing Great Chef's of Europe".

> The Banquet? Yè Yàn (夜宴)

The movie is called Tortilla Soup (2001)

American remake of Tampopo, which is entitled The Ramen Girl. It is
abysmal. Run screaming.

  "The God Of Cookery", which is very silly, again

> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111092306

It left out probably dozens of memorable foodie movies, so I can only
conclude that being comprehensively encyclopedic was not the goal.
Perhaps the author had not done a real study of the growth of that sub-
genre in recent years.

Adamantius