[Sca-cooks] Peach cobbler/slump recipe??

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 7 16:22:00 PDT 2010

 From July 22nd

It's OT and OP but there's an article on making slumps in the Chicago
Tribune food section.
Summer slump. What could be simpler than simmering dumplings on top of
seasonal fruit?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/newsletter/sns-newsletter-summer-cobbler,0,1626297.story

http://tinyurl.com/2d5zald

Slumps are fruit desserts that can be simmered on top of the stove or
even carefully cooked
on an open fire in a cast iron skillet. "Some say the word slump comes
from the way the dumplings slowly spread over the fruit as they cook.
Or maybe not: "The reason for the name is thought to be that the
preparation has no recognizable form and slumps on the plate," wrote
Alan Davidson in "The Oxford Companion to Food."

The dish appears to have originated in New England, where early
colonists (without brick ovens) would prepare it in hanging pots over
a fire. A slump also goes by the name grunt (because of the sound the
bubbling fruit makes?). We'll stick to slump, thanks."

Johnnae