[Sca-cooks] Times Square, was re Pop Tart Sushi Re: Pop Tarts Sushi in NYC [ewww]

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 04:57:06 PDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Adamantius, are you bold enough to go to this place?  I found this article online and thought it perfect for our Pennsic Weird Food discussion.
>
> Huette
>
> Pop-Tarts Sushi and Other Fine Foods at the New Pop-Tarts Cafe
>
> A Pop-Tarts "cafe," featuring a 30-item menu including "Pop-Tarts sushi" and a build-your-own pack vending machine, will open in Times Square on Tuesday. Yes, you read that right: Pop-Tarts sushi. We have suggestions for more menu items!

Quite possibly I'm not bold enough. But I think the real problem would be in finding someone to join me...

> Like most New Yorkers, I spend as much time as possible in Times Square, which is one of those great "locals-only" neighborhoods

My most recent experience (we've passed through TS several times recently going to and from the Port Authority, which is Evil Spawn's preferred travel hub to and from school -- I like to visit the bronze statue of Ralph Kramden) is that for the most part, locals can be identified by their total absence. At the time, I actually remember thinking, "Oh, for the good old days when Times Square was sleazy, the people of ill repute were home-grown, and the people with ridiculous bleached-blonde hair in silly shapes were all New Yorkers. Now they're all from Cleveland." It seems to me like Vegas without the gambling. For me, the problem is that every large city has an area like this; sort of a Tourist Zone that is completely without any of the character of the host city, and identical to every other city's Tourist Zone. And if that's the case, why travel anyway?

> with some of the best dining options in the city. The problem is, there are only so many times you can go to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. or the ESPN Zone (just kidding—you can never have too much ESPN Zone, ever!). Thank God, then, that a new, 3,200-square-foot Pop-Tarts store/cafe on 42nd Street between Sixth Avenue and Broadway, is opening on Tuesday!

If I'm very lucky, the next restaurant I dine in that isn't in my own neighborhood, or thereabouts, in Queens, will be Randazzo's Clam Bar on Emmons Avenue in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn... now _that_ is a culturally broadening experience. Fuhgeddaboutit!  It's a crying shame that I never managed to get to F.W.I.L. Lundy's (the building, a virtual cathedral of seafood, still stands, but isn't a single huge restaurant anymore) before they closed.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter