[Sca-cooks] wick-a-wack? (OOP)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Aug 12 10:10:06 PDT 2010

I have ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE for this idea, so take it with a salt shaker.

There is a modern geological term, "wacke" used to describe a sandstone that
has formed from basaltic rock which has decomposed in situ.  The word
derives from a German miner's term for rock, wacke, which appears to have
derived from wack(e)lig meaning shaky or unsteady.

The German "Vich" means "dumb beast," "animal" "brute," or "cattle"
depending on how you use it.

"Vichenwacke" might be a colloquial combinative word for a dish made of
animal parts that resembles wacke, the sandstone.  A little mispronunciation
would give you wick-a-wack.

Finding any evidence for or against this idea will likely be a problem.
I've done some cursory checking and there is nothing easily available.  I
think the best source to research this further would be some high end
dictionaries of colloquial German.

Bear