[Sca-cooks] Class on 15th c Italian food

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Aug 18 05:15:51 PDT 2010

Hi all,
 I agreed to teach a class on 15th century Italian food at an event in about
six weeks time (eep, need to get organised). I've come up with a list of
dishes we will be having a go at (I may yet trim it when I work out budget
or timing in a bit more detail). I've tried to pick things that are staples
of Italian cooking even now, or have modern equivalents even if they are
very different, with the aim of tilting the class towards answering the
question of 'what did the Italians eat before they had pasta?' Anyway, here
is the list:

Gnocchi
Ravioli or Maccheroni (not sure if we'll have time to make ravioli)
Finocchio
Frittata
Pollastri con Agresto
Caliscione
Fritelle di Riso
Offelle

The results of the class will be contributing to lunch at the event.
Does anyone have any thoughts, or comments?
The thing that immediately sprang to my mind when I sat back and looked at
the list was 'all these things are white!'

Angharad