[Sca-cooks] Cooking methods for carrots

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Thu Aug 19 07:16:49 PDT 2010

There are actually multiple "recipes" in Platina for Carrots.
Below is the analysis from the paper I gave at RSA on the first five books
of De Honesta and the ³recipes² contained within them.
The columns (which probably don¹t come through on the list) are defined
below as well.
These are just the Cariota entries. There are approximately 157 total
recipes in the first five books.

Eduardo

Total   Sub-Total   Var.    Book    Entry   Original Latin Title
Modern Recipe Title     Meat    Fruit   Veg.    Dairy   Misc.   Brief
Description
138    90                           4           16          De Cariota et
Pastinaca     Boiled Parsnips                                         X
These parsnips are boiled twice. The first boiling water is thrown
away and then they are cooked a second time with lettuce and seasoned with
salt, vinegar, coriander and pepper.

139    90a     X                     4    16                 De Cariota et
Pastinaca    Fried Parsnips                                            X
Par-boil the parsnips and then roll them in "meal" (farina) and fry them in
oil and fat.

140    90b    X                     4    16                 De Cariota et
Pastinaca    Boiled Carrots                                              X
Carrots are cooked the same way as parsnips. See recipe 91.

141    90c    X                     4    16                 De Cariota et
Pastinaca    Fried Carrots                                                X
Carrots are cooked the same way as Onions. See recipe 92.

142    91                               4    16                 De Cariota
et Pastinaca    Baked Carrots with Seasonings              X
Carrots are sweeter if they are cooked under "ash and coals" (cinere et
carbonibus) and then cut up and seasoned with salt, oil, vinegar, "condensed
must" (defructo) and "sweet spices" (aromata dulcia).

143    91a    X                     4    16                     De Cariota
et Pastinaca    Carrots with Sapa                                    X
A variation on the above carrot recipe, but using "must" (sapa) instead of
"condensed must" (defructo).

Total     ­ a numerical account of the cumulative total recipes, including
all the variations.
Sub-Total ­ a numerical account of the recipes that identifies each
variation.
Var. (Variation) ­ Indicates whether the recipe is a variation.
Book ­ Which book the recipe can be found in.
Entry ­ Which entry, within each book, that the recipe can be found in.
Original Latin Title ­ The original Latin title of each entry.
Modern Recipe Title ­ A very short description of each recipe.
Meat ­ Indicates if the recipe can be categorized as meat.
Fruit    ­ Indicates if the recipe can be categorized as fruit.
Veg. (vegetable) ­ Indicates if the recipe can be categorized as a
vegetable.
Dairy ­ Indicates if the recipe can be categorized as dairy. Including milk,
cheese, and eggs.
Misc. (Miscellaneous) ­ Indicates if the recipe can be categorized as a one
of the above.
Brief Description ­ A description of each recipe that includes any important
details.