[Sca-cooks] OT: How to destroy a book

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 21 18:08:56 PDT 2010

Ok I'll bite.  The most humorous example I can think of is the Flashman
series by the late George McDonald Frazier.  It's a historical novel series
set in the Victorian era whose central character is a complete cad.  The
first novel fooled half the reviewers into thinking it was a autobiography.
Don't rent the one movie made out of the series.   It was pretty dismal.
The various historical novel series of Bernard Cornwell are more serious and
some are actually set in our period.  The Sharpes series, Napoleonic era,
was done by the BBC and done well.  His Starbuck series, set in the US Civil
War is great but will never make it onto the screen.  It is just not PC to
make the main hero a renegade New Englander fighting for the Confederacy.

Now I'm going to get back to eating hamberger.

Daniel