[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 52, Issue 45

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 14:30:05 PDT 2010

I don't have any of my notes handy here at work, and I won't be able to access
them until I get home on Friday. So what I say below is based on what I remember
of my decisions.

The dishes for the main course was served altogether. When I was looking at a
couple of menus from that time period the meat was paired with a side dish. So I
chose side dishes that I thought went well together as well as with the meats
(mix & match if you will). Some of the diners had food restrictions that had to
be handled... one of which I had made a separate herb omelet as a replacement
for the meats that were served.

As to the fruit... Melons are cold & wet by the humoral theory. I thought this
would be very appropriate to the conditions expected at Pennsic (which were,
since the heat index was 100F-110F most days I was there). The berries also
played a role for providing someone with fruit that could not have melon. I
believe that Strawberries are considered cold & dry.

The Barons & Baronesses that I served have no particular passion for period
cookery. My goal was to provide them with food that was inspired by the recipes
yet would still be comfortable to people who are not familiar with period
cookery. Considering the feedback I received and the little leftovers on the
serving platters, I believe I succeeded in this goal. I also selected recipes
that were suitable for the kitchen I had to work with as well as something that
would be not be too heavy for the heat we were dealing with... it was this
consideration I went in particular to a Mediterranean region to look for recipes
for the feast I cooked last year. Another consideration was keeping the recipes
rather simple. The most complicated recipe I chose was the pastries of fine
sugar.

When you speak of the "Spanish tradition" how far back does that tradition go?
Many traditions that I grew up sprouted from Colonial or Victorian times. Many
food traditions that I am aware of, also sprouted from the classical cooking
techniques that were post period.

As to the onion pottage, it was handled with just enough liquid to ensure the
onions were cooked through and infuse the flavor... it was not my intent to make
a soup with it. It came out looking much more like sauteed onions with a glaze,
just not caramelized since I wanted to highlight the color of the red onions I
used.

 Euriol