[Sca-cooks] What is "Janete"?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Aug 26 18:02:11 PDT 2010

At 6:59 PM -0500 8/26/10, Mark S. Harris wrote:
>  <<< On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Frustrated! Janet is supossed to be yellow. I supose saffron should be
>  added.
>
>  Saffron is a common ingredient of "all fine spices" (a couple of other
>  recipes specify "all fine spices except saffron").  The recipes for
>  Janete say the spices are to be added near the end.  I would suggest
>  at least half an hour before the dish is done and served.
>
>  Brighid ni Chiarain >>>
>
>  What *is* Janete? Recipe?

I would have to see the context.

If Old French, it is one alternative spelling of "Yellow", and so could
be the normal shorthand for "Yellow Sauce" (the word "Sauce" being omitted
in cookbooks such as Viandier, for example).  If Yellow Sauce, then likely
it would have saffron.

If that alternative doesn't work in the original context, there are
other possibilities.

Thorvald