[Sca-cooks] Bronze Cookware

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Aug 30 14:32:35 PDT 2010

The thing I'm having trouble understanding is that if the cookware is
bronze, why does it have lead in it?
 Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Period. Brass is an alloy of
zinc and copper.

Now, I know that lead is often added to various other hard alloys to
make it more machinable, but why are these (modern) people adding it
to their cookpots? Are they casting the pots and then machining them?
If so, is this a period practice? If not, why not make our own pots,
that would be period correct? Bronze doesn't require the temps that
iron does to cast, and many of the alloya are easily forged. In fact,
the bronze alloys that have lead in them are the ones you distinctly
DON'T want to forge because the crumble into a pile of sand if you
don't use the exactly correct temperature.