[Sca-cooks] mosserouns florys (DC # 55) / and copyright issues

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 2 11:13:01 PDT 2010

> I had found a little confusing (the other was for mosserouns
> yflourys, which appears to be an egg-yolk-gilded, grilled mushroom
> dish

55   Mosserouns florys: in rost ysih hou gentiliche & sone.
Veorst (th)ou schalt maken riht wel passen, & so(th)(th)en in water
cold cast larde cold; make bringen & oneliche hewen; (th)enne
nym sone (th)e musseruns, lardes coynteliche wi(th) larduns. Make
as were vor to swerden & so(th)(th)en aske a god roste. Nou inoh
is (th)e mes in rost, of ayren do awey (th)e qwyt. Sone on (th)e
gredil riht veyre floris speces. Nym & caste gilofre & kanel;
wi(th)innen meddlen.
(Hieatt/Butler, p. 55 = DC # 55)

Hieatt/Butler p. 200: "_make bringen_ is one of several phrases in I 55 we
cannot explain".

At least, one is in good company in not fully understanding the recipe.

***

BTW, I assume, that it is legal to post single recipes from a copyrighted
edition. Is the text of the edition of 1985 still under copyright? The
commentary, introduction etc. certainly is.

There is a Russian translation of ms. BL Add. 32085, it includes the 1986 text,
edited by Hieatt/Jones:

http://oldcookery.com/trans/blmsadd32085.html

E.