[Sca-cooks] BACON was Speaking of BBQ...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 4 05:38:02 PDT 2010

Bacon...

Ooooohhhh for a vigil they could serve this candy...

Sir Francis Bacon Peanut Brittle from Georgia

Zingermans carried it and  wrote it up as "The savory side of
confections.

The fervor over bacon in the past couple years has resulted in some
questionable products out on the market. Bacon gum, bacon spray, bacon-
mayonnaise?

So initially I was wary of another bacon inspired creation -
especially a confection meant for the sweet side of things. But one
bite of Sir Francis Bacon Peanut Brittle destroyed my skepticism. It's
the perfect combination of sweet, salty and savory. It belongs in its
own food group...lets call it addictive nosh. Every bite is a complex,
balanced eating experience. You take another bite because the first
one was so nice and - low and behold - its just as delicious.

The pieces of bacon aren't chewy like you find with a strip of jerky
or something. Amazingly, they still have a crispy aspect to them. The
peanuts are big Virginia runners - the meatiest they could find. They
crunch, not crumble. The brittle is equally snappy, not mushy at all.

You dont have to be a bacon lover to love this brittle, but if you
know one, this is the treat for them."

More at

http://www.baconpeanutbrittle.com/

http://www.woodstockfarmersmarket.com/sirfrancisbacon-peanut-brittle.aspx

Zingermans had sample out last week so I tried it and
found that it left a less than pleasant lingering aftertaste.

I suspect I could make better at home.

Johnnae