[Sca-cooks] A Feast Menu for Commentary

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 11:08:09 PDT 2010

Johnna wrote:
>...have you looked at
>Yerasimos, Marianna 500 Years Of Ottoman Cuisine ISBN : 9752301614
>Publisher : Boyut Yayin in Istanbul. 2005?
>
>It includes a great chapter on food and culinary sources
>in Ottoman history, inc. palace records. Also nearly 100 recipes ranging
>from 14-17th centuries. With illustrations. Try interlibrary loan.
>
>It might give you a couple more suggestions and the pictures are great.

It was the best of books, it was the worst of books...

OK, couldn't resist. But that's hyperbole, it's not really best or
worst, but it is both very helpful and hair tearingly frustrating.

She has useful information, and the pictures span close to 500 years.
She mentions the original sources from which she derived her recipes,
yea :) but does not give the originals, boo :(

I confess i adapted some, and used info in her book to kinda
reconstruct others.

I purchased it from a source recommended by Johnna called Tulumba, a
company in the US that specializes in things Turkish, the web site is
in both Turkish and English. I am quite glad i bought the book, but
if Middle Eastern cuisine is not your focus ILL may be a better way
to go.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita