[Sca-cooks] wick-a-wack? (OOP)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 17:53:35 PDT 2010

On Aug 12, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> I have ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE for this idea, so take it with a salt shaker.
>
> There is a modern geological term, "wacke" used to describe a sandstone that has formed from basaltic rock which has decomposed in situ.  The word derives from a German miner's term for rock, wacke, which appears to have derived from wack(e)lig meaning shaky or unsteady.
>
> The German "Vich" means "dumb beast," "animal" "brute," or "cattle" depending on how you use it.
>
> "Vichenwacke" might be a colloquial combinative word for a dish made of animal parts that resembles wacke, the sandstone.  A little mispronunciation would give you wick-a-wack.
>
> Finding any evidence for or against this idea will likely be a problem. I've done some cursory checking and there is nothing easily available.  I think the best source to research this further would be some high end dictionaries of colloquial German.

This sounds potentially plausible; somebody might also want to look into the German usage of "Weck" (as in, say, Kümmelweck) for rolls...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter