[Sca-cooks] Thoughts for a new class

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Aug 18 19:47:29 PDT 2010

I think it is a great idea.  It should involve first advice and
discussion about the difficulties of redaction, both from earlier
English and from non-English sources.

It should then involve at least one recipe that involves some
non-trivial redaction difficulties, with each student making
their best interpretation.

This would include perhaps a missing ingredient (such as a
spice not readily available but for which there are one or
more substitutes suggested by modern authors, or the classic
verjuice); perhaps an ambiguous phrase in the original; perhaps
a sketchy cooking direction such as 'stew'; and at least one
ingredient for which what is modernly available differs
significantly from what we think was available in period.

The instructor would *not* pronounce one redaction right and
the others wrong.  Treat it as a seminar in which all students
comment on what went wrong and right with their own redactions
and with the redactions of others.

Thorvald