[Sca-cooks] Cooking methods for carrots

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 13:49:07 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM, emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Am I right to assume that the spanish word "zanahorias" is used to refer to
> carrots?

Yes, indeed.

> In the 1607 libro del arte de cozina there is a recipe "Cap. xcviij. De tortada
> de cahanorias" (!). And another one: "Cap. xcix. De cahanorias rellenas".

> http://tinyurl.com/yata4zm

And you overlooked the salad recipe:
Cap. XX.  Como se han de hazer canahorias para ensalada

> zanahorias, cahanorias ... Robin/Brighid, could you comment on these recipes?

What kind of comments would you like?  The tortada is a pie whose
filling is made of boiled mashed carrots which are then cooked with
honey, sugar, white wine, and sweet spices.  The mixture is cooled,
then mixed with eggs and baked in a crust.  The stuffed carrots are
stuffed with a sweetened nut mixture, then fried.   There is a very
similar recipe in Granado (1599); it may be one of the hundreds he
plagiarized from Scappi.  The salad is made from baked carrots which
are then dressed with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano.

I am about to leave work and have some errands to run; I'll write more later.

Brighid ni Chiarain