[Sca-cooks] carrots / canahorias

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 18:15:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM, emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> wrote:
> One more thing. You wrote:
>
>> Cap. XX.  Como se han de hazer canahorias para ensalada
>

> However: the word is spelled "cahanorias". In all places I have seen so far of
> the 1607 cookbook. Do you have an explanation for that?

I was in a hurry, because I had to get going.  I did not notice the
reversed placement of the 'h' and the 'n'.  In modern times, it seems
to be a standard misspelling -- I found over 5000 Google hits (though
with the more modern 'z' at the beginning).

This is probably a good place to mention that the initial letter is
not a 'c' but a cedilla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedilla
I should have waited until I had time to find the keyboard shortcut for a ç.

It may be a scribal error, a local variant or something else.  I can
tell you that Covarrubias, the 1611 Spanish glossary that is the
earliest Castillian dictionary, uses "çanahoria".

> I see, that recipe XXI on page 87 mentions "cahanorias" as well. So
> probably, I have overlooked even more recipes.

I may have, also.  I haven't spent much time with this particular
cookbook, partly because it's OOP, and partly because someone else was
working on it.  I forget his SCA name, but mundanely he was Dan
Gillespie.  I did some proof-reading on his first-draft translation a
few million years ago.  Anyone know this gentleman, and if he's still
working on the project?

Anyway, the other recipe is a casserole of carrots.  Par-boil the
carrots, chop them, then fry in oil.  Add honey, sugar, cloves, and
cinnamon, and cook some more.  Then add beaten eggs and "bake" in a
Dutch oven until firm.

Brighid ni Chiarain