[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Cookin'

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 20:29:51 PDT 2010

I didn't get to go to Pennsic but, as we had originally planned to go, I
went ahead and made the meal I would have served had I been there, and sent
it up for the camp to have.  I didn't worry with a salad or bread, as I
would have had I been there, but instead only sent along the stew.  I made
Marwaziyya, a lamb stew from "*Kitab Wasf al-At'ima* (A Description of
Familiar Foods)...I haven't heard that anyone was poisoned but also have not
heard if folks enjoyed it.  I only hope they did!

Kiri

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Euriol of Lothian <euriol at yahoo.com>wrote:

> There were two nights I did cooking, but not for encampment. One night I
> grilled
> meats for the Kingdom Party (AEthelmearc), they were simply seasoned with
> salt &
> pepper. I had intended to make a couple of sauces to accompany the meats.
> However, even though my hand was out of a cast by then... the heat a
> Pennsic
> this year just killed me and those sauces were not made. That did not seem
> deter anyone from eating the meat though... it was all devoured. I also
> must
> give credit where credit is due. My youngest son did most of the actual
> grilling
> as I supervised.
>
> The second was a dinner for the landed Barons & Baronesses of AEthelmearc.
> This
> is known as the Seven Pearls Dinner. I did a condensed version of a feast I
> did
> the previous year which was cooked in a simple (but modern) field kitchen.
> I had
> a "party" grill, which runs on 2 - 20 gallon propane tank and has a huge
> cooking
> area, and a two burner coleman stove. The recipes were inspired by late
> period
> Spanish recipes. The menu was:
>
> Appetizers (served at a side table while the Barons & Baronesses were
> socializing)
> Pickles &  Olives
> Pastries of Fine Sugar
> Bread & Butter
>
> Main Course (served seated)
> Grilled Tuna with Orange Herb Sauce
> Saffron Rice
> Grilled Steak with Garlic Cheese spread
> Onion Pottage
>
> Dessert (served seated)
> Angel's Food
> Fresh Berries & Melons
>
> I was lucky to have a sizeable budget for this feast (donations that were
> raised
> privately for this purpose). I had planned to cook for 14 (The landed
> Barons &
> Baronesses) plus my staff (8). I was told to keep it simple, so I went and
> splurged on a couple of the ingredients. The steak was New York Strip Steak
> and
> the Tuna was Sashimi grade Yellow-fin tuna. The meats were simply seasoned
> with
> salt & pepper before being placed on the grill.
>
> Again, to give credit where credit is due. I did very little of the actual
> cooking, due to the difficulties I had coping with the heat. My staff just
> told
> me to sit down and supervise, which I did without argument (or at least not
> too
> much argument). I also kept the remainder of the wine bought for the Onion
> Pottage for the staff, and when the cooking was done we all enjoyed a
> glass.

> [...]

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince